Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Gifts


It’s that time of year again.  The “most wonderful time of the year”.  The holidays are upon us and that, of course, means gifts.  Lots of them. 

We give to immediate family, extended family, friends, work colleagues, teachers, tutors, handymen, gardeners, cleaning people and I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting about at the moment.  We use gifts as an expression of our gratitude for being part of our lives throughout the past year.  Although it may sound hokey, I actually enjoy giving gifts. 

Throughout the year, as a culture we tend to give gifts on birthdays, Hanukah, Christmas, Valentines’ Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, graduations, bar/bat mitzvahs, weddings and births.  Makes me wonder why Thanksgiving never ended up a gift-giving holiday.  After all, it’s got the word “giving” right in its name.  Rarely a month goes by when we’re not gifting in some form or another.

Even though there is always a whole lot of giving going on, I try to not limit the gratitude part to the holidays or special occasions.  I am very blessed to have a wonderful family, great friends and so many other quality people in my life.  So I try to make sure they know it year round.  Whether through gifts, kind words or just quality time spent together.  Gifts are for special occasions but gratitude is daily.


Happy Holidays to all and thanks for the special part you play in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment